Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is complicated. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I am the person I know who is most knowledgeable about it. I have tried to find doctors to address it, but they didn't. If you can afford to go away to one of these special rehabs for MCS, please go. Get a great doctor who treats environmental illness. However, even the best doctor probably isn't going to get you well. You'll have to make quiet a bit of effort. These are the major areas that I have worked on. Most of these topics I will cover as soon as I can on my Youtube Channel
Getting well is probably going to take a lot of effort, time and money. Do the best you can. It has taken me a long time to be able to afford things,
That being said, there are so many possibilities for the cause of this illness and in reading on the internet hour after hour, I did find a few people who got well easily. One recovered completely after getting their metal amalgams removed (by a qualified bio dentist). His problem was caused by electricity by different metals in his mouth, He got well the same day!!! I was detoxing like crazy for months last year and only feeling worse. It was bewildering, to say the least. Then suddenly I was well. I was so happy, i Stopped my detox protocol and even got tattoo (later learned you can find non toxic ink) last winter i didn't want to touch a Newspaper, much less inject ink into my skin. I was just so happy to be normal I kept up the minimal detox routine. I did have partial relapses so have continued detoxing my body, home and adding to my health and well being, Since, I have had my mercury amalgams removed by a bio-dentist, had acupuncture, trauma therapy, restorative yoga, added super-foods to my diet and continue to replace personal and household items with non-toxic ones and lots of chlorella and detox agents, super-foods, coffee enemas, probiotocs etc, I can go into a grocery store and not smell the detergents in the detergent isle. This had bothered me years before the onset of MCS. Somethings still bother by lungs.
Here are some things I did
1. Study everything you can on detoxification and about what in your world is toxic (read all of Sherry Rogers books).The basics of her method is Sauna, coffee enema, glutithione, Vitamin C and Lipoic Acid. She also has tons more info. This is what I did, I swear by it,
2. Get away from the chemicals that are making you sick. If someones perfume bothers you, or if you are in a restaurant w/candles or in an idling car, get away, Unlike an allergy, your health and organs are being damaged when you are being exposed to the offending chemical. Open windows, ask people not to smoke, or to turn the engine off while you are sitting in the car. These things are very hard on your social life as most people will think you are a bother and some get angry and offended. Don't make the mistake I did of trying to tell people how toxic the fragrances they are wearing are. What smells to us like roach killer bomb, they paid $50 an ounce for. I often tell people that I have asthma, it is something they can understand and not judge me for.
Don't expect people to care at all about your suffering, They will just find you annoying. This was often my experience.As a result of my MCS needs, I got kicked out of my gym You may lose your job, your partners and have endless misunderstandings, You will lose opportunities and be so sick its scary! SORRY!!
Lots of people with MCS people lose everything, including their life; so make sure you get well! I have often ended up sick becasue I didint want to look odd or I would listen to my friends advice about how this or that wasn't really toxic, or that I was over-reacting. If you feel something making you sick. Get away asap. Most of the times I have gotten sick is because I stayed too long. As you know the first thing to happen is you stop thinking straight. Just flee! The more exposures you have the more damage you are doing to your organs.
3. Get toxic substances out of your life as much as possible. You must get them out of your home and your food and water, This is an impossible task, but do what you can. read Sherry Rogers and others and keep cleaning up your environment. There are so many things which may be the cause or contributor to MCS.
*Make the bedroom where you sleep safe. get rid of as many things as you can, Don't keep plastics, books, magazines, computer, shoes or clothes in there. Paint your walls with NON-Toxic paint which is better than No VOC Paint. Get rid of carpet. (I must say I have much more to do in my bedroom). Look into your heating and cooling systems and make them the less toxic possible.
*Change to all nontoxic cleaning supplies. 7th generation is good. you can do a lot washing with white vinegar and borax (from any store). I get all of my soap, shampoo online, Pretty much anything at Whole Foods or Trader Joes is good.
* Use Non-toxic personal care supplies. Cosmetics and personal care products are not regulated by the FDA. These items contain known toxins and carcinogens in their products. What you put on your skin or what you breathe into your lungs goes into your blood and body. so many new medicines are skin patches. Skin Deep has a database with cosmetic info. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/. I just use coconut oil for the skin and peppermint oil, unprocessed sea salt or aluminum free baking powder to brush my teeth. I am very anti-plastic from a health and environmental stance; but you can get everything pre-packaged. HOWEVER, do your homework because even products bought at Whole Foods or that say "organics" natural etc, can be toxic. The big companies bought the organic brand companies for the most part. I have many products listed in my Amazon Store http://astore.amazon.com/multi0d8-20, but you can find these products many places.
*Nontoxic Sunscreen Badger and Soleo brand. Just becuase Organic is in the name of a product doesnt mean anything!
*Avoid Plastic: Avoid foods packages or served in plastic, the chemicals leach into the food, Never Microwave or eat anything in heated plastic or Styrofoam. I believe that getting these toxins from your food, skin and air are a menace to health. For more info see my blog post http://detoxthebody.blogspot.com/2011/11/detoxing-plastics-from-your-body-and.html
*Cookware Thow away your Teflon today, Its very toxic. Use stainless steel, glass, ceramic or cast iron cookware. I threw away all plastic utensils and food storage and use glass and ceramic.
* Clothing all wrinkle free fabrics contain formaldehyde. It would be wise to use organic fabrics. Some new Lines in department stores (Free People, I believe) are using less chemicals in clothing. Wash new clothes at least once before wearing. Some people with severe MCS need to wash their clothes several times before they can tolerate wearing it.
Any scented Air Freshener, soap etc In restaurants and public places I usually just throw them in the trash. Especially, the super toxic kind. Get away from these things as much as you can. MCS is not like an allergy and anytime you are feeling ill from chemicals you are damaging your body; so try not to 'just take it'.
Natural Gas can cause or irritate MCS. One day I will get an electric stove. If you live over a restaurant or source of lots of gas, consider relocation.
Chlorine filters are essential for your shower, make sure to change the filter regularly.
This is a reputable company at a great price, Get the best you can afford. http://www.honeywellcentral.com/air-purifiers?srcad=honeywell%20enviracare&gclid=CL-AwYKhl6gCFYi8KgodmmeJCw
Perfume and Cologne
All Fragranced Products - including soaps, shampoo, conditioner, and bath products
Incesnse and candles, scented and non
Deodorants and Anti-Perspirants
Hair Gel and Mousse
Fragranced Shampoo and Conditioner
Nail Polish and Remover
Anti-Bacterial Hand Wipes or Hand Sanitizer
Personal Care Products to Use Instead
Scent - use essential oils if tolerated or eliminate perfume
Fragrance Free Products - soaps, shampoo, conditioner, and bath products
Lotion - use unscented versions or natural oils such as jojoba, coconut, and olive oil
Shaving Cream - soap
Aftershave - witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide
Deodorant - peroxide, natural salt crystal, baking soda, unscented versions
Hair Styling - aloe vera gel, lemon juice
Hair Color - natural variations, peroxide to bleach, all natural henna for color
Shampoo / Conditioner unscented variations, baking soda, vinegar, citric acid, oils
Nail Polish and Remover - safer variations from the health food store or go au natural
Make-up - unscented, natural variations or go au natural
4, Detox Supplemets
There are a lot of detoxifying nutrients and supplements but Sherry Rogers "Detox Coctail" works great, Twice a day if you can its at least
1000 mg Vitamin C
300 Alpha Lipoic Acid
Glutithione (I take 100 mg sub-lingual) I would take more if I could afford it.
Change your diet, try to eat organic and stop eating any meats or dairy that are not farm raised, grass fed, free range and close to organic. Get meat and eggs from farms, Whole Foods or health food store. Everyone is at a different place. I already had a good diet before I got sick. I gave up Corn Syrup, hydrogenated oils years ago. I already ate a lot of organic foods. but I now ate less sugar (very little), coconut oil for cooking, stopped eating genetically modified foods, added tons of super-foods, blueberries, raw nuts, fruits , greens, turmeric, ginger, chlorella, goji berries, maca etc. Juicing is amazing, wheat-grass especially. Diet is all important and something we need to continually study and improve.
5. Deal with stress, anxiety and trauma A friend said he had gotten well dealing with his inner issues, so I went out and got a therapist. I will do anything to get well. The more I study health, the more i realize the mind-body connection is as real as nutrition. Stress affects the digestion which affects the gut which is where the immune system is. Stress releases mesaurable harmful chemicals into your blood and body.
With MCS here does seem to be a trauma or anxiety connection. Although I do believe the chemicals are what have hurt you.
It is stressful to have MCS. I sometimes take anti-anxiety medication. While I am anti- chemical medicine in general. I was thinking that the stress chemicals from the body may be more harmful than the medicine. I am not a doctor and have no idea if this is true.
The brain and moods are very much affected by health and nutrition and toxins and Visa Versa!
The brain is one of the major storage areas for toxins, heavy metals etc.. Just look at lead poisoning or mercury poisoning, they symptoms are mood swings or depression or mental impairment.
Mind/Body breathing and relaxation techniques. http://thehealthylivinglounge.com/2009/06/16/12-great-reasons-to-start-alternate-nostril-breathing-today/
6. Heal the gut The intestines and the stomach and the colon. I believe this to be absolutely vital in healing! This is a long slow process and involves so many things. Taking a good probiotic is a must. It took me a year to get around to that, I spent so much $ already. It is where most of the immune system is. Iy will involve changing your diet, cleaning the colon, dtoxing parasites, heavy metals, candida, etc repopuating the gut with good bacteria, Dealing with stress with directly affects the digestion which affects the above mentioned.
Good article and resource http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/candida-and-gut-dysbiosis-articles/intestinal-parasites,-bacterial-dysbiosis-and-leaky-gut/
7. Treat yourself like a sick friend . Spend lots of time taking care of yourself and your health. Don't wait until you are on death's door to detox! Be gentle with yourself and you will probably be tired from the MCS or even from the detoxing. Last Winter when I was really sick and really detoxing I used to go to sleep at 6 pm all the time. Most people won't understand or believe that you are ill, you may not even. Just pretend that your life depends on resting and detoxing and focusing on yourself.
I think this is one of the smartest things I ever did. If you think you are not that sick, read other people's horror stories and get well before you are not able to touch a computer!
8. Toxic Beauty treatments: (if you have knowledge of beauty alternatives, please write me! Eve11111@live.com)
**Get rid of your Acrylic nails. They are very toxic. I am not sure it wasn't a major contributing factor in my illness. Use non-toxic (or at least, OPI nail polish). i dont think any false nails or nail glue is good, But acrylic nails are very toxic.
*Tattoos: There is toxic and nontoxic tattoo ink. Some has mercury. Look into it before getting tattooed.
* Eyelash extension clue contains formaldehyde and latex I got some and they looked great but made my eyes sting, so i investigated. I read of a nontoxic glue to take to the salon, but couldn't find it online.
* Botox is called "Botox Neurotoxin" the name freaks me out. MCS is very much about chemicals that affect your brain called "neurotoxins". Grow bangs~ Also, I wouldn't inject synthetic fillers either. Some are better than others.
* Keratin Treatment is toxic I have read, investigate before you get it. I got one that was supposedly formaldehyde and chemical free, but it burned my eyes and throat.
*Breast and other Implants Even if the silicone never leaked, plastics are chemicals whose effects are still not completely known. heated plastic is not good. I wouldn't chance it.
Hair Extensions: some are more toxic than others. Smell before buying, I got really sick once with hair extensions
9. Supplements: I take lots of supplements. There are so many bottles of supplements in my fridge, one friend calls me Evie Nicole Smith. I cant remember why I take them and I rotate most of them. Some run out and I dont Buy new ones for a while. I like to make drinks and use powders and blend it with a hand blender or spoon I often take the weekends off. I always take sublingual drops of tabs when possible. Some Tablets like DHEA or Glutithione don't have much taste and are better absorbed under the tongue. Some supplements are detoxifying, some are anti-oxidants or helpful vitamins. I will put notes and links as I have time. Otherwise you can look them up. I would take more and different things if I had the money. Some of these are foods or herbs you can have as tea.. I used to take a lot more when I was sicker and parasitical.
Lots of these nutrients happen to be anti-cancer and end up helping your body function well in other areas. My eye site is better, my hair grows faster and my metabolism is pretty fast!
Many people with MCS have Leaky Gut, malabsortium, defieceincies, you want to make your body as strong as possible. It may take a while.
THE DETOX COCKTAIL is
Vitamin C- 2,000
Alpha Lipoic Acid- 300mg
Glutithione- 200 sublingual.. nebulized is better i am not sure where to get it,
Molybdenum-converts toxins fron candida and parasites into energy
DHEA- many MCS people are defiecient
Green Tea extract
Barley Grass Powder
Wheat Grass Powder
Fresh Wheatgrass Juice
Chlorella- heavy metal detoxer, vitamins, minerals
Turmeric.. anti inflammatory, anti parasite,
Milk Thistle --liver detoxer
Maca- gives energy and vitality and regulates hormones
pau de arco
Oil of Oregano- anti allergy-anti yeast, fungal, bacterial etc
Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade) kills parasites but not toxic. This coral type thing that has a structure that shreds parasites when they eat it. (Get non food grade for killing fleas, cockroaches and Bedbugs~ Full of silica, good for hair and nails.
(see parasite herbs in other section)
10.Houseplants are beneficial to remove toxins from the air and add oxygen. The best are philodendrons, spider plants, aloe Vera etc. Google NASA study on air cleaning plants.
11. Exercize and plenty of pure water! These are essential for good health! I give online Zumba/Cardio dance workout and do abs and weights as well. Walk, ride a bike, do yoga. I can only reccomend limited cardio in a gym. Gyms generally have little oxygen and are wiped and cleaned all day long with toxic chemicals. you dont want to do cardio in that!